Areas on which the source-based questions will focus are:
- the struggle for power following the death of Mao Zedong (Mao Tse-tung), Hua Guofeng (Hua Kuo‑feng), the re-emergence of Deng Xiaoping (Teng Hsiao-p’ing) and the defeat of the Gang of Four
- China under Deng Xiaoping: economic policies and the Four Modernizations
- China under Deng Xiaoping: political changes, and their limits, culminating in Tiananmen Square (1989)
- domestic and foreign problems of the Brezhnev era: economic and political stagnation; Afghanistan
- Gorbachev and his aims/policies (glasnost and perestroika) and consequences for the Soviet state
- consequences of Gorbachev’s policies for Eastern European reform movements: Poland—the role of Solidarity; Czechoslovakia—the Velvet Revolution; fall of the Berlin Wall.
Come up with your own question #4, “According to the documents and your own knowledge…?”
List eight (8) solid facts to respond.